This can be a large yr for Canada. Our nation is celebrating its sesquicentennial, turning 150 years younger in July. Numerous year-round celebrations are scheduled in Canadian cities and cities of all sizes from coast to coast—for native and worldwide travellers, this couldn’t be higher information.
Whereas Canada is already a bucket list-destination in its personal proper, the country-wide celebrations for Canada 150 are undoubtedly the explanation the likes of the New York Occasions and Lonely Planet have named Canada the primary nation to go to in 2017. It’s the proper excuse for guests younger and outdated to set out and uncover what the nation has to supply the world.
Canada 150: A fast historical past lesson
Everyone knows Ottawa because the capital and political coronary heart of Canada (because of this, it’s additionally the place you wish to go for Canada 150). However not many individuals outdoors of the nation know that Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island was really the birthplace of the nation.
There the confederation of Canada’s 4 unique provinces—Ontario and Quebec (which collectively had been referred to as the Province of Canada), Nova Scotia and New Brunswick—came about 150 years in the past on July 1, 1867. This occasion marked the transition away from direct British rule and in the direction of nationwide autonomy.
Now the second largest nation on the planet, Canada has come a good distance since its days because the Dominion of Canada. With almost 36 million residents, there are tens of millions extra who travel right here every year, with the numbers solely anticipated to develop over time.
How Canadians & guests plan to have a good time Canada 150
Canada as we all know it immediately is a spot interconnected by travel. Its distinctive identification is formed by the nation’s various combine of individuals, arts and tradition, historical past and heritage, and naturally, geography. This yr’s anniversary makes it the opportune time for us Canadians to train a little bit of nationwide satisfaction by welcoming curious travellers to our dwelling, in addition to exploring and experiencing Canada for ourselves in methods we’ve by no means carried out earlier than.
TIP: It’s a very good time as any for our neighbours within the US (and guests from different nations too) to make the most of the low Canadian greenback, which is predicted to take care of its present pattern for the remainder of the yr.
To commemorate this milestone in Canadian historical past, the federal authorities has budgeted underneath half a billion of funding for Canada 150. Whereas these celebrations culminate on Canada Day, July 1st, there are additionally ongoing initiatives that contain each residents and guests to Canada:
- Parks Canada is freely giving a vast variety of Discovery Passes to the general public. This grants native and travelling guests free admission to nationwide parks, historic websites and marine conservation areas all through Canada all yr spherical.
- Journey corporations like Air Canada and VIA Rail have grouped widespread Canadian locations collectively into trip packages. Air Canada Holidays’ Go Canada assortment contains guided excursions, wildlife adventures, golf holidays, and rail or cruise holidays, whereas VIA Rail has launched The Pan Canadian route and guided tour.
- Canada Rocks 150 is a summer season live performance occasion that goals to set a Guinness World Report by inviting 1,500 Canadian musicians collectively on stage for a single efficiency. Canada can be dwelling to many different music festivals—for those who’re planning to go to the Yukon, our wild northern playground, don’t miss the Dawson Metropolis Music Competition to expertise some Canadian people and indie music.
- The Canada 150 Mosaic is a community-immersive artwork mission the place murals throughout all provinces and territories are created and finally tie collectively to inform an excellent larger story about Canada.
- Nationwide Canadian Movie Day 150 is a one-day-only occasion going down on April 19, the place greater than 600 theatres and public venues in over 200 communities throughout Canada will present 150 movies that showcase Canadian cinema. For movie and Netflix followers, see how one can plan a visit to Hollywood North and go to some iconic movie and TV collection places throughout Canada.
TIP: Use hashtags like #canada150 and #ottawa2017 on social media to maintain up with and contribute to occasions. There’s even an official cell app known as Passport 2017 that retains customers up-to-date on all issues Canada 150, wherever on the planet you could be!
Celebrations on the nation’s capital: Canada 150 occasions in Ottawa
Some Canadians would possibly argue that Ottawa has earned its popularity as ‘the boring Canadian city’ each time talked about alongside Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and even Calgary. However this yr will show to be a little bit completely different: although every of the metropolitan areas might need their very own agenda, Ottawa will unquestionably be the locus of the nation’s Canada 150 festivities.
With an estimated 1.75 million visiting Canada’s capital this yr, you possibly can make certain that the town has loads of surprises deliberate for guests and locals alike. And simply throughout the river from the guts of Ottawa is the town of Gatineau, Quebec, which can be internet hosting its personal lineup of occasions so as to add to all of the enjoyable:
- Ignite 150 is a collection of secret, impromptu performances held all through Ottawa, the small print of that are revealed to the general public solely days earlier than by way of social media.
- 2017 marks the 125th Anniversary of the Stanley Cup and the centennial yr of the NHL, so it’s solely becoming that the coveted trophy makes its manner again dwelling. From March 15-18 you possibly can take photographs with the Cup, meet and greet hockey legends, and watch as a commemorative monument is unveiled.
- The 2017 Juno Awards can be an evening to have a good time immediately’s greatest in Canadian music. All the massive names within the trade can be underneath one roof on April 2.
- As its identify suggests, Sugar Lumberfest on April Eight will give foodies an opportunity to pattern some gourmand, non-traditional Canadian fare with a lumberjack twist—and you may be certain there’ll be loads of maple syrup to go round!
- Festibière de Gatineau is the annual craft beer competition operating from June Eight-10. Guests can pattern over 300 distinctive beers from greater than 30 Canadian distributors.
- Kontinuum is billed because the ‘ultimate underground experience’. From the top of June to mid-September, this futuristic multimedia mission will give guests a one-of-a-kind immersive expertise underneath the town the place Ottawa’s Mild Rail Transit (LRT) is scheduled to open in 2018.
- MosaïCanada 150 displays on 150 years of Canadian historical past by showcasing this spectacular, widespread horticultural method; the out of doors exhibit is open from June 30-October 15.
- The brand new Canadian Historical past Corridor on the Canadian Museum of Historical past opens its doorways to the general public on July 1. With over 40,000 sq ft of exhibition area spanning three galleries and 1000’s of artifacts, Canada’s wealthy 150-year historical past can be on show in a single place.
- For the primary time in North America, the famed French theatre group La Machine will deliver its larger-than-life automated creatures throughout the ocean to the streets of Ottawa on July 27-30.
Journey insurance for Canadians & Guests to Canada
Whether or not you intend on making use of the free Discovery Move to discover the pure great thing about Canadian landscapes or celebrating Canada 150 among the many pleasure of metropolis crowds, there’s a must have a way of travel safety and peace of thoughts. For Canadians travelling out-of-province and guests to Canada, emergency medical protection is a should to make sure correct medical care in case something goes awry through the journey.
This yr, individuals are partaking in Canada 150 in their very own methods—large or small, close to or far, on-line or offline. How do you plan to have a good time Canada’s anniversary? Share a few of your concepts within the feedback under or on Twitter @TuGoInsurance!
Joyful travels and bienvenue au Canada,